Saturday, December 10, 2011

Inspired Hearts Want to Know!

What inspired the concept for Hearts of Inspiration?

1 Part Experience - 1 Part Passion

Retail is in my blood. My parents were in the antique business in Vermont and Michigan
since I was 7 years old. At 19 I started in the children's furniture business and worked my way up to buying and merchandising for 5 stores! During that time, I developed and taught child safety classes to expectant parents. We focused on how to modify your home to make it a safe environment for children, starting with the trip home from the hospital with your new bundle of joy! We had big stores with 20 or more room settings. I loved to create beautiful displays but always imagined owning a small boutique.

My Buying philosophy: I only buy what I would want for myself!

Being creative brained, I've always had a need to create things. I wouldn't call myself an expert but I have been known create some pretty neat things! I found this helpful when my children were little.

I spent a lot of time in the kids school planning events and helping in the classroom.

Spending time interacting with kids in school was enlightening.
Call me old fashioned but I couldn't help noticing how disrespectful and disengaged the kids were to each other and the teachers! Doing their own thing instead of listening to the teacher or even their peers. No acknowledgement when something was done for them. Loud voices as is there were no one else in the room! I felt like I should doing something to encourage kids to be more aware of how their actions affect other people. So, I started with my own children and found that I could have some success with consistency and good examples!

As my children got older there was less opportunity to help out. I found myself looking for ways to put my skills to use and make a living too!

I knew that retail was tough in our economy but I also knew that it would drive me crazy if I just set up a party room and had no interaction with people except on the day of events.

So I put the two together!
Of course there is more to it but you're not here to read my book.

I'll be sure to give you more on my thoughts on why I am so passionate about Hearts of Inspiration!


No comments:

Post a Comment