Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving or Giving Thanks



Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because it brings people together to share a meal.

I love the fact that it's not about gifts. The only gifts that are exchanged are the gifts of friendship, love and gratitude!

I always share a poem or prayer with our family and friends on Thanksgiving.

They think I'm hokey because I like to sit at the table and share the things that I am most thankful for in my life and ask everyone to do the same! Then we take turns sharing our blessings which brings on the laughter and the tears. 

Whatever your tradition is, I hope it includes a prayer that gives thanks for the blessings in your life Big and Small.

This year why not start a new tradition and ask your family and guests if they would like to share something that they are thankful for in the form of a prayer, a poem or a personal story about "Thanksgiving or Giving Thanks"?

Here's a prayer that I love!

Dear God,
I give thanks for all the amazing gifts you have blessed me with in this life. Thank you for the clouds in the sky and the grass beneath my feet. Thank you for the roof over my head that shelters me from the cold and the food in my stomach that nourishes my body. Thank you for the clothes on my back and the knowledge in my head. Most of all God thank you for your everlasting love, guidance, and understanding. Thank you dear God, thank you.
~Unknown~

I hope that your Thanksgiving is blessed with love and gratitude and it is shared with others.

Happy "Giving Thanks" Day!!




No comments:

Post a Comment